Collegiate Outlasts the Tigers 35-28 in Three Overtimes

Woodberry found itself down 14-0 against Collegiate heading into the fourth quarter on Friday. However, a late comeback by the Tigers forced overtime in Richmond. After splitting touchdowns in the first two overtimes, the Cougars won 35-28 in overtime number three.

The Tigers’ late comeback was sparked by a nine-yard touchdown pass from Ben Locklear to Luke Blundin on fourth down. A quick interception by Asa McManamy on the ensuing Cougar drive gave Woodberry the ball back for a chance to tie the game with five minutes remaining. The Forestmen did just that with a rushing touchdown by Donovan Baker.

Wideman ’20 finished the day with 7 catches for 75 yards and a touchdown.

In overtime, Collegiate got the ball first and hit paydirt after three straight passes to Wake Forest commit Trey Boll. Woodberry responded with a second-down touchdown pass to Staley Wideman. The Tigers got the ball to start the second overtime and scored quickly on a rushing touchdown by Baker, his second of the game. Collegiate countered with a rushing touchdown.

The Prep League foes would head into a third overtime. Collegiate scored from five yards out after a Tiger penalty, and Woodberry, needing a touchdown to tie, failed to score on four consecutive pass attempts to the endzone. The Cougars, who moved to 4-1, celebrated their 35-28 victory.

In the course of seven days, the Tigers lost two games in overtime to two very solid teams.

“I think the two biggest takeaways from the last two overtime games are the incredible attitude and resilience of our players, and the improvements we are making as a team,” said Head Coach Scott Braswell. “We are just one play away from winning both of those games.  All of us, coaches and players, need to double down on our preparation to help make that one play happen.”

Woodberry heads into its second bye week 0-5. The Tigers will look for their first win on Friday, October 18, at Benedictine.

Categories: Athletics